Edd leads our Natural Resources team covering energy projects, mines and minerals and biodiversity matters. He has a national reputation in managing large scale renewable energy projects including a number Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIP). The team is one of the most well-respected in the market. He has developed a reputation for technical ability, commercial advice and getting the job done.
Edd has been involved in a very large number of solar projects for over a decade, acting for both developers and landowners, throughout the FIT, ROC, CfD and now subsidy-free eras. Projects have ranged from large scale ground-mounted schemes through to commercial roof-top installations and portfolios of arrays mounted on residential properties.
He is also experienced with schemes combining battery storage and solar technologies, whether for load-shifting alone or otherwise. He is well versed in seeing a project through from initial HOTs stage with the landowner to conclusion of construction, including dealing with all due diligence and funder-led requirements, and beyond with secondary market transactions.
Recent projects managed by Edd and the Natural Resources team include:
- Acting for a consortium of 6 landowners in relation to a nationally significant infrastructure project solar and battery-led energy generation scheme across c. 3,000 acres. This is a 600MW export and 300MW import connection/ 2,500 acres including complex tax structuring and equalisation across the landowners with several layers of turnover rental income
- Acting for developer in relation to 50MW solar and battery scheme on c. 300 acres of land owned by a material landed estate subject to two agricultural tenancies, including negotiating complex surrender documentation for the tenancies and variations to allow cabling easements and the installation of substation and other infrastructure on other tenanted land
- Acting for developer in relation to 50MW solar and battery scheme on c. 300 acres of land subject to both an agricultural tenancy and various charges. Complex capitalisation agreement put in place to allow funds to be released to discharge those charges, and then off-set against rental payments. Agricultural tenancy surrender provisions agreed
- Acting for material landowner estate in relation to large upland wind turbine scheme of c. 30 utility-scale turbines. Lease will include multiple complex rental streams including several layers of turnover rental income and Specialist commoners’ rights issues
- Acting for multiple landowners in relation to a nationally significant infrastructure project solar, battery and other technology energy generation scheme across c. 1,600 acres with a 500MW export capacity. The scheme involves complex phasing arrangements and addresses issues resulting from rail crossings, and protecting other future development in the vicinity
- Acting for a large landowner estate in relation to a 400MW battery scheme (and substation). Likely to include complex agricultural tenancy issues
- Panel solicitors for several developers who refer all landowners to us to act on various solar and battery schemes and substations and other infrastructure
- Acting for multiple landowners in respect of a nationally significant infrastructure project involving solar, battery and other technologies of circa 1,000 acres with complex point of connection elements. Lease will include multiple complex rental streams including several layers of turnover rental income
- Acting on various solar and battery projects involving complex landowner structuring (headleases/ pension funds/ tax planning) and complex overage settlement provisions, mines and minerals complexities and other complex title issues (restrictive covenants and involvements with the Coal Authority, Crown Estate etc)
- Acting for a landowner in respect of a 200MW battery storage system and new substation to serve nearby solar scheme with an 800MW total export capacity
- Acting for a landowner in relation to a 100MW battery project
“I have known and worked with Edd Johnson in the sustainable energy sector for many years now and over this period he has proved himself a very capable and reliable solicitor. His experience in the sector is second to none and he understands that his role is to facilitate and not delay or block the deal. At the same time, he won’t compromise on the quality of advice given. He has become my go to solicitor in the renewable energy market.”