Tim’s clients are typically business-owning families, farmers and landowners, banks, trust companies and other professional firms, both in the UK and overseas.
He advises on all aspects of estate planning, but with a particular focus on business succession and complex trust restructuring, driven often by tax and strategic family considerations.
Very much a team player, Tim is well known for his collaborative approach with his clients' other advisers, both in the UK and abroad.
Before joining Roythornes, Tim headed the Private Client team of an East Anglian firm for several years, having been a Partner in a City of London firm before that.
Tim's recent projects have included:
- A multi-stage business separation plan to facilitate and preserve Inheritance Tax reliefs in a well-diversified farming estate
- Advice and the creation of a family investment company and trust structure as a vehicle for the transmission of wealth outside the family business to the next generation, without relinquishing control to young adults
- Advice on the disentangling of overly complex trust and partnership arrangements, to streamline the running of the family business and improve the tax situation
- Advice to trustees on the extrication of a beneficiary from a complicated trust arrangement, to improve his tax position and simplify the continuing trust of the landed estate
- Estate planning advice involving the use of a charity vehicle to receive property of historic significance for use to benefit students of music
- Trust and partnership planning for a landowning family bringing some of the next generations into the farming business, where significant development potential may lie in some of the land
- Estate, succession and tax planning for international families