Ben joined the firm in September 2011, qualified as a solicitor in 2015 and was promoted to Associate in 2020. He was educated locally at Spalding Grammar School, before obtaining his law degree from the University of Leicester and completing the Legal Practice Course at Nottingham Law School.
His focus is primarily on the provision of lifetime estate and business succession planning advice, and tax. His work regularly involves the preparation of and advice concerning Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney; partnership agreements and amendments; trust creation, alteration, and administration; and advising in respect of family investment companies (FICs).
Ben is a member of Roythornes’ Real Estate Tax team and Private and Corporate Tax team. He frequently collaborates with other advisors at Roythornes, accountants and tax advisors to ensure the best result for our clients.
Ben’s taxation specialisms include:
- Inheritance Tax - in connection with his estate planning work.
- Capital Gains Tax - for example, on the disposal of land for development, or on the disposal or reorganisation of a business.
- Stamp Duty Land Tax - in particular, advising in respect of the SDLT regime for partnerships, reliefs (including Multiple Dwellings Relief), advising our developer and land-owning clients on options, overage, and acquisitions and for our corporate clients on company reorganisations.
- Corporation Tax on reorganisations.
- VAT – advising in respect of Transfer of a Going Concern (TOGC) and opting on land and buildings.
Recent work includes:
- VAT TOGC advice for the UK arm of a large multinational building materials provider on the sale of a former site of operations.
- Successful correspondence with HMRC concerning the availability of APR on a grazing arrangement.
- Advice on the creation of FICs as a means of wealth generation, and as a means of introducing the next generation to the management of wealth.
- Advice concerning the creation of five discretionary trusts over the residue of the deceased’s estate, where the residue held significant potential for future growth.
- SDLT advice in respect of the partnership provisions for a PLC property developer.
- Advice to a residential property developer on the application of SDLT Subsale Relief, where part of the site was being retained, together with advice on the VAT implications of promotion and option fees.
- SDLT advice, including a deferment application for a PLC property developer.
- A successful reclaim of over £100,000 in SDLT on the purchase of a private client’s new main residence, including the application of Multiple Dwellings Relief.
- VAT TOGC advice, structuring and regulation advice for two public bodies on the acquisition of strategic land.
- IHT and CGT advice and implementation of the settlement of a farming business with assets worth in excess of £3m as part of an estate planning strategy.