Alex joined Roythornes in February 2017. He was promoted to Associate in July 2019 and to Senior Associate in July 2021.
He specialises in the following areas of disputes:
- Construction and engineering (including all disputes relating to industry standard form contracts such as JCT, NEC, ACE, RIBA, RICS);
- Professional Negligence;
- Company (shareholder and director disputes) including Petitions under s994 Companies Act 2006, derivative claims and director’s disqualification;
- Insolvency (which includes acting for and against Insolvency Practitioners);
- Agency (including claims pursuant to The Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993);
- General commercial disputes (including breach of contract, negligence, misrepresentation)
His recent work includes:
Construction and Engineering
- Advising a UK based construction firm in relation to a final account dispute in excess of £400,000. This dispute was the subject of arbitration proceedings in Milan, Italy;
- Advising on a successful enforcement of an adjudication award in the Technology & Construction Court. This specific case was in relation to whether a second adjudicator’s decision contradicted the first adjudicator’s decision and whether the second adjudicator’s decision was enforceable (Waldeck Associates Ltd V Decomo UK Ltd  EWHC 961).
- Advising on a professional negligence claim in excess of £2m against a firm of solicitors. This related to the negligent drafting of a loan agreement and the subsequent failure to register a charge on a property in Knightsbridge, London.
- Claim for £2m against a firm of Insurance Brokers relating to a fire at a warehouse in Nottingham and the subsequent revocation of the insurance policy by the Insurer.
- Advising on a professional negligence claim against an architect for exceeding the scope of his instructions and the subsequent negligent drawings produced.
- Claim in excess of £1m for breach of a Share Purchase Agreement relating to the purchase of a food manufacturing company.
- Claims for relief pursuant to s.994 Companies Act 2006 and for damages under an agency agreement which resulted in a seven-figure settlement.
- Advising a minority shareholder and former director of a limited company as to whether the limited company was a quasi-partnership and the effect of his removal as a director. Thereafter advising and issuing an Unfair Prejudice Petition under s.994 Companies Act 2006;
- Claim for £400,000 against the Liquidator’s of a Company for sums due to a director and shareholder, which included defending an application for breach of duty pursuant to s112 Insolvency Act 1986. This resulted in a six-figure settlement.
- Advising a Trustee in Bankruptcy regarding the effect (on the bankrupt individual) of a Restraint Order under Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and obtaining discharge of that Order, along with proceeds due to the Trustee.
- Claim for damages exceeding £400,000 resulting from the termination of an agency agreement under The Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993.
- Claims resulting from the dissolution of a partnership pursuant to Partnership Act 1890.
General Commercial disputes
- Claim for £8m arising from the negligent delivery of pig feed containing meat (which is prohibited). This resulted in a seven-figure settlement.
Alex is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.