Alex studied law at Nottingham Trent University, graduating with a first class honours degree in July 2012 and going on to complete his LPC part-time at Nottingham Law School. He obtained a distinction whilst working in a small, niche litigation practice with offices in London and Lincolnshire.
Alex joined Roythornes in February 2017 having qualified with a Lincolnshire firm in August 2016. He works closely with Peter Cusick, advising on disputes including:
- professional negligence;
- banking litigation;
- breach of contract;
- construction and engineering;
- partnership disputes;
- company disputes (including both shareholder and director disputes);
- agency law;
- Rural Payment Agency appeals;
- judicial review.
His recent work includes:
- advising a UK based construction firm in relation to a final account dispute in excess of £400,000. This dispute was the subject of arbitration proceedings in Milan, Italy;
- advising on a successful enforcement of an adjudication award in the Technology & Construction Court. This specific case was in relation to whether a second adjudicator’s decision contradicted the first adjudicator’s decision and whether the second adjudicator’s decision was enforceable;
- advising on a professional negligence claim in excess of £2m against a firm of solicitors. This related to the negligent drafting of a loan agreement and the subsequent failure to register a charge on a property in Knightsbridge, London;
- advising on a professional negligence claim against an architect for exceeding the scope of his instructions and the subsequent negligent drawings produced;
- advising a minority shareholder and former director of a limited company as to whether the limited company was a quasi-partnership and the effect of his removal as a director. Thereafter advising and issuing an Unfair Prejudice Petition under s.994 Companies Act 2006;
- advising in respect of judicial review proceedings in relation to the New Forest rights of common and subsequent SPS subsidy payments (R (on the application of Imogen Bickford-Smith) v Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs  EWHC 3371 (Admin)).
Alex is also a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.