Having specialised in tax for over 25 years within national and regional accountancy firms, Carolyn has more recently applied her expert knowledge to the legal sector.
Her background means that she has come across a wide range of taxation issues faced by individuals, businesses and trusts and she is used to providing proactive advice in a way that cuts through both the legal and tax jargon, allowing her clients to make informed decisions.
Working alongside our legal advisors, Carolyn primarily concentrates on the taxation of trusts, personal tax, capital gains tax (CGT), inheritance tax, and tax investigations by H M Revenue & Customs (HMRC). She deals with trust compliance, such as the preparation of annual accounts, tax returns, periodic inheritance tax returns and registering trusts with HMRC. She also handles the completion of self-assessment tax returns and repayment claims for individuals, and the registration and payment of CGT in connection with the disposal of UK residential property by non-UK resident individuals.
Carolyn is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and a Fellow of the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT).
Recent work includes:
- reviewing the tax implications of a life tenant surrendering their interest in a trust in connection with the trustees securing an option to develop trust land;
- providing advice regarding CGT mitigation in connection with the appointment of a property out of an estate where there were non-UK resident beneficiaries;
- advising regarding the various options for the ownership of a residential property that parents were purchasing for an adult child to live in;
- advising on the most tax-efficient way of passing on ownership of an inherited property to the next generation;
- reviewing the provisions and distributions from family trusts to ensure equitable treatment amongst siblings, whilst having regard to the settlor’s wishes, including advice on the tax implications of potentially winding up one of the trusts;
- providing advice to confirm the availability of CGT private residence relief in respect of a UK property where the owners have been living abroad.