We're always looking for big picture thinkers
Team Legal Secretary: Peterborough
Roythornes is a commercial practice with a strong focus on agriculture and rural estates, the food sector and commercial property. We have ambitious plans for growth, but to realise them we need the right people.
Since its beginnings in Lincolnshire over 80 years ago, Roythornes has developed beyond its historic East Midlands heartland. We act for clients across the country and sit comfortably among the UK’s top 150 law firms. Our people work out of four offices: Spalding, Peterborough, Nottingham and Alconbury.
We take an active, hands-on and long-term approach, getting to know our clients and their businesses over many years. This means we can anticipate and deal with complex and challenging issues that really matter - not just to the success of the businesses themselves but to the wellbeing of the families that depend on them.
Many of our 26 partners trained with us; this has been one of the keys to our success and we aim to continue to grow organically, while bringing in additional expertise where needed to meet our strategic goals.
As you would expect, we are looking for people with proven intellectual ability, a commercial approach, excellent interpersonal skills and, most of all, the drive to exceed our clients’ expectations. In return, we offer competitive salaries and the chance to grow with us.
- to provide typing and secretarial support to the Property teams in Peterborough and on occasions those who visit the Peterborough office.
- to transcribe and prepare all correspondence and documents through audio-typing and word processing, using company precedents where appropriate, ensuring proof-reading completed
- to confidently draft simple memos, emails and letters and use these together with standard letters to assist fee earners to move matters on, as appropriate
- to operate case management system, including storing documents and all correspondence electronically – organising and attaching to relevant matters
- to deal with administrative routines, as required, to include scanning, faxing, printing, copying and releasing matter related emails from Mimecast
- to be involved in the efficient management of client/matter files to include general filing in a timely and accurate manner (both electronically and paper), file opening, preparation of client care letters, terms and conditions, gathering ID, file closure, archiving, file retrieval from and return to storage, as required, whilst ensuring the administration/filing within the team is up-to-date
- to make appointments, arrange meetings and maintain manager/fee earners’ diaries, as required, as well as preparing any necessary papers for the meetings
- to undertake administrative elements and maintain records of PD reviews and ensure these are followed up by arranging PD reviews between supervisor and matter manager, updating notes and following through on actions, including credit control
- to undertake administrative file reviews and maintain records including taking responsibility for ensuring file reviews are completed in a timely manner within the team
- to review fee earner timesheets (as applicable) and complete/post non matter related time on their behalf, regularly review unassigned time items and post time when matter is opened, complete expense claims, ensuring e-form authorisations are progressing
- to manage incoming and outgoing mail in all media i.e. post, DX, emails and facsimile transmissions ensuring everything is stored on the electronic file
- use the strong room, searching for and retrieving deeds from storage
- retrieve archived files
- to maintain fee earner CPD records on the HR system
- to support the office operationally to include, but not limited to, covering front of house, dealing with visitors both in person and on the telephone, providing hospitality, liaising with contractors re building maintenance, liaising with IT service providers, assisting with maintaining clear desk policy and green initiatives, ensuring office adheres to health and safety regulation, assisting the Operations and Support Manager with projects
- any other reasonable requests from fee earners and/or managers
- to ensure the confidentiality of all the company’s and clients’ documentation and information
You will also be involved in the preparation of ...
- documents for strong room entry
- appropriate Oyez forms, paper and electronic, relative to a particular transaction and knowing which form to complete, considering if the process can be completed electronically
- Land Registry searches, enquiries for both registered and unregistered land including title registration applications
- local authority searches, via TM Search or direct with utility companies/authorities
- HMRC Stamp Duty Land Tax filing
Key skills and experience
To be considered for this position, you should …
- have legal secretarial experience (desirable), including an ability to keep up to date with progress of a file and demonstrate knowledge of work done by fee earners and the overall business
- be familiar with land transaction forms (TR1, TP1, etc) and their differences
- be familiar with all relevant computer packages, including, but not limited to, PDF docs, document conversion and tracked changes
- have experience of working in a professional team environment and providing internal customer care
- possess audio/copy typing skills, digital dictation (desirable) and demonstrate a typing speed of at least 70 wpm/90% accuracy
- possess good organisational and time management skills
- have an ability to remain calm and respond well in pressurised situations
- demonstrate excellent accuracy/attention to detail and competence in spelling, punctuation and grammar
- demonstrate evidence of a ‘can do’ attitude and good work ethic
- have exceptional document skills, including tracked changes/versioning/formatting
- show willingness to personally undertake any specific training when required to do so to include attendance, and encouraging team attendance, at internal "At Home With ... " sessions, "Lunch and Learn" sessions and relevant "Bite Size" training; and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development/endeavouring to improve own standards
- be willing to work towards achieving Microsoft Word Accreditation at Expert level