We're always looking for big picture thinkers
Commercial Property Solicitor (Development)
Roythornes is a commercial practice with a strong focus on commercial property, agriculture and rural estates and the food sector. We have ambitious plans for growth, but to realise them we need the right people.
Since its beginnings in Lincolnshire over 80 years ago, Roythornes has developed beyond its historic East Midlands heartland. We act for clients across the country and sit comfortably among the UK’s top 150 law firms. Our people work out of four offices: Spalding, Nottingham, Peterborough and Alconbury.
We take an active, hands-on and long-term approach, getting to know our clients and their businesses over many years. This means we can anticipate and deal with complex and challenging issues that really matter - not just to the success of the businesses themselves but to the wellbeing of the families that depend on them.
Many of our 26 partners trained with us; this has been one of the keys to our success and we aim to continue to grow organically, while bringing in additional expertise where needed to meet our strategic goals.
As you would expect, we are looking for people with proven intellectual ability, a commercial approach, excellent interpersonal skills and, most of all, the drive to exceed our clients’ expectations. In return, we offer competitive salaries and the chance to grow with us.
Day to day responsibilities are to:
- provide expert legal advice to a range of clients, including the negotiation and drafting of documentation
- manage client/matter files
- carry out, in an effective, efficient and timely manner, the various stages of legal proceedings with the aim of protecting the interests of the client
- proactively develop new business opportunities from internal cross-referrals, existing clients and other professionals
- meet agreed targets for chargeable time, fee income generated, billing and fee collection
Key skills and experience
Applicants will be a qualified solicitor with at least two years’ PQE and preferably five years’ plus, and should:
- have experience of working in commercial property development across a range of clients, handling a diverse range of issues
- ideally, have experience of working with national property developers
- have experience of site set-ups for developers (an advantage, but not essential)
- have a strong desire to learn and widen knowledge
- possess an ability to act independently to a reasonably high level, but also to work with more experienced partners and fee earners on more complex and specialised matters, as required
- have experience of building relationships with both new and existing clients and professionals, including a natural ability to promote marketing and business development initiatives in a dynamic way
- possess good communication skills in order to explain legal matters clearly to clients
- be discrete and the have the ability to respect client confidentiality
- be able to tackle tasks in a structured manner to ensure completion to a high standard
- demonstrate solid organisation and time management skills
- have experience of working in a team and the ability to develop relationships with colleagues
- have proven drafting skills and attention to detail
- possess sound problem-solving skills
- have an ability to adapt to a broad range of situations and circumstances and remain calm under pressure