Roythornes is a commercial practice with a strong focus on agriculture and rural estates, the food sector and commercial property. We have ambitious plans for growth, but to realise them we need the right people.
Since its beginnings in Lincolnshire over 80 years ago, Roythornes has developed beyond its historic East Midlands heartland. We act for clients across the country and sit comfortably among the UK’s top 150 law firms. Our people work out of four offices: Spalding, Peterborough, Nottingham and Alconbury.
We take an active, hands-on and long-term approach, getting to know our clients and their businesses over many years. This means we can anticipate and deal with complex and challenging issues that really matter - not just to the success of the businesses themselves but to the wellbeing of the families that depend on them.
Many of our 26 partners trained with us; this has been one of the keys to our success and we aim to continue to grow organically, while bringing in additional expertise where needed to meet our strategic goals.
As you would expect, we are looking for people with proven intellectual ability, a commercial approach, excellent interpersonal skills and, most of all, the drive to exceed our clients’ expectations. In return, we offer competitive salaries and the chance to grow with us.
As part of our continuous growth and development, we are looking to expand our IT development function with a new developer to take on the increase in new projects and existing system support and maintenance required by the firm.
The in-house team currently comprises a software developer, business analyst/project manager and an application support and training analyst. All systems infrastructure, administration and support is outsourced. The team takes a professional approach to all aspects of the development cycle, including business analysis, design, iterative solution development, testing, project management and close liaison with other business functions in terms of implementation (training, support, project review and benefit assessment).
The role would suit an experienced developer who is looking for an opportunity to apply and develop their programming skills across a wide range of commercial applications within an exciting and progressive organisation. They should have an eye for design, with attention to detail, and a passion for process improvement. The successful candidate will have responsibility for the development, customisation and maintenance of application software and associated reporting solutions; the effective implementation of new or updated systems and the provision of high-level application support in respect of calls escalated via the IT helpdesk.
Main duties are to:
- develop and maintain application software within SOS Connect (our legal-specific case, matter and financial management system)
- develop web-based (Intranet, Internet and Extranet) and database-driven applications, and reporting solutions
- use reporting tools (SQL Reporting Services, Crystal Report and QlikView) to create and maintain both simple and complex reporting solutions
- administer database (creating databases, views, summary tables, stored procedures in support of application development)
- set up and maintain integration solutions between internal and third party systems (SOS Accounts, Outlook, Intranet, Extranet, web services etc)
- deliver technical solutions which demonstrably fulfil business requirements
- ensure information security by design within application developments
- review and technically appraise solutions development of co-workers
- define and adhere to appropriate development standards within a team environment
- undertake planned maintenance and enhancement requests to existing applications
- provide application support in relation to calls escalated from the helpdesk
- undertake application testing prior to release
- liaise closely with the business analyst/project manager, technical support and training teams (outsourced) in terms of implementation and embedding new or updated solutions
- technically document developments
- evaluate and recommend commercially available software
- provide demonstrations and skills transfer in relation to new or updated systems
Skills and experience
The ideal candidate will be an experienced developer with a desire to utilise their skills and expertise in a progressive and growing professional environment. Working as part of a close-knit team, the successful candidate will be a real team player, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. We are also looking for someone who possesses a genuine aptitude to learn, a passion for customer service excellence and who will deliver first-class work, which is right first time.
To be considered for this position, you should:
- have commercial software development experience, ideally within a legal case management environment
- have experience of developing web-based, database-driven solutions
- have experience of reporting tools such as SQL Reporting Services, Crystal Reports or QlikView
- have experience of:
- .Net development C#/VB (preferably C#)
- ASP.Net Webforms (HTML/CSS)
- SQL 2012, Stored procedures, Views, Linked systems,
- be familiar with accounting/financial management systems, legal case or matter management applications, document production/management, or similar workflow solutions
- have integration experience within the Microsoft Office environment
- have experience of developing/maintaining management information and reporting systems
- be aware of the software development lifecycle and software development standards
- have well-developed interpersonal skills and be able to communicate well both in business and technical terms