Department: Private Client
Contract Type: Permanent
As part of our continuing growth and development, we are looking for a new Director of Trustee Services (DTS) to join our Private Client team. This key role will be pivotal in delivering the team's strategic aims over the course of the next few years in securing trustee compliance and profitable growth for the firm.
The role will encompass the following elements in which experience, whilst not essential, would be of benefit. When combined with a commercial, supremely organised approach and an enthusiasm for the opportunities presenting to this role, together we have a chance to put Roythornes on the map as excelling in the provision of niche trustee services.
Overseeing creation and maintenance of trust database
- Developing an interactive database of trust matters and the associated collateral to deliver a streamlined service
- Detecting individual trusts from our existing records and, with the assistance of a junior team, populating a composite database of all Roythornes' trust matters under management
- Promoting our services to all identifed trusts
- Overseeing the streamlined retirement of former partners at Roythornes and the transition to Roythornes Trustees Limited/new trustees
- Reporting progress to Private Client lead partner
The provision of annual trust administration services
The trust year at Roythornes runs in line with the tax year. For each trust under management our aim is to provide an annual trust administration service at different levels (Gold/Silver/Bronze) dependant on how much or little we are asked to do. As part of this annual service the DTS will be expected to engage in the cyclical completion of the trust administration.
Coordinating the annual management of each trust to include:
- preparation of annual report to trustees;
- maintenance of Roythornes' internal compliance requirements;
- coordination of trustee meetings/agendas and minutes;
- liaison with trustees and beneficiaries throughout, or coordinating such matters via matter manager;
- preparation of annual trust accounts;
- preparation of annual trust tax returns; collation of details for provision to our partner accountancy practices and maintenance of links with those practices;
- cash flow management;
- liaison with intermediaries, stockbrokers, insurance brokers and land agents;
- provision of tax advice to trustees and settlors and scheduling distributions to beneficiaries or the commissioning of such advice/provision of instructions to procure such advice
- management, guidance and education of junior team members
- impeccable file management;
- effective, efficient and timely management of all matters
- proactive development of new business opportunities from internal cross-referrals, existing clients and other professionals;
- meeting agreed targets for chargeable time, fee income generated, billing and fee collection.
Skills and experience
The ideal candidate is likely to:
- have previous experience in a similar role;
- wish to step out of their current role in accountancy, banking or financial services, for example;
- have a talent for clarity in communication across a broad spectrum of clients;
- have strong desire to learn and widen their knowledge, and to impart their knowledge in teaching a junior team;
- be supremely self-motivated to succeed, and be able to motivate others;
- have the confidence to act independently to a reasonably high level, and the ability to work as part of a team supporting partners and fee earners on more complex and specialised matters as required;
- have experience of building relationships with both new and existing clients and professionals including a natural ability to promote marketing and business development initiatives in a dynamic way;
- be well organised and be able to complete tasks in a methodical structured manner to ensure completion to a consistent standard;
- have solid organisation and time management skills;
- have proven attention to detail and drafting skills;
- demonstrate sound problem-solving skills;
- have an ability to adapt to a broad range of situations and circumstances and thrive under pressure.